Friday, February 26, 2010

The Newest Member to our Family: Matilda



A few months ago, a very special package came in the mail. It was my belated Christmas present from Rob…my once in a lifetime boots!

During the weeks leading up to Christmas, I found myself searching the thrift stores for some boots. My old brown ones were beat up and abused, and I wanted something new and fresh. But, I was disappointed by all the boots I found, at both the swanky mall stores and the thrift stores. They all looked cheap, ugly, were made of fake leather, and felt uncomfortable. So, I got a Christmas poem from Robert promising to buy me once in a life time boots. To prohibit me from scavenging for these boots, he set a rather high minimum price. I knew I had to get a pair of Frye boots.

It was fun and nerve wracking looking in the swanky stores and online for these special boots.

For a long time I was going to get a basic pair of Frye boots, like the Fiona:

But, my mouth fell open when I saw Matilda!I ordered both pairs from Endless shoes to do a bit of at-home-comparison-shipping. When they came in the mail, I experimented with a few outfits. Matilda's neo-victorian style and luscious red leather demands a very simple dress or skirt to pull off the look. Fiona easily went with just about anything. It was a tough choice to make, especially because it really boiled down to practicality versus whimsy. Fiona felt instantly comfortable, but Matilda helped me reach new heights (5'8), which presented some initial walking challenges. Ultimately, my Napoleon complex won out, and Matilda has a special place as my most valuable piece of clothing.


I've successfully paired them with a simple brown or black skirt combo. For one night on the town, I did a little color/texture clashing with a bright green lacy tank and Victorian choker with a form fitting skirt. It was funky, but I felt good in it and confidence can make anything fabulous!



Admittedly, these aren't the best pictures, but the fact that spring has sprung has led my mind to wander towards warm weather fashions, and I think Matilda has a decidedly fall-winter look. I'm sure by next fall I'll have all sorts of Matilda inspired fashion breakthroughs! This week I'm feeling more excited by summer dresses, sandals, light jackets, and bright colors!

1 comment:

  1. Update: Fiona has come drastically down in price to $150(via Amazon). Ooo, to buy or not to buy?

    ReplyDelete