Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Birthday boots, cake, and surprises!




July was a nutty month for me and Rob. We planned a trip to Spokane and Los Angeles, in addition to working long hours. The whole month turned out to be a whirlwind of planning, packing, unpacking, cleaning, working, and not sleeping for both of us.

Our two trips were to visit family. In Spokane, my sister was celebrating her recent marriage to her long-time partner, and wanted to throw a party for the family. She and her husband put on a huge barbecue with plenty of beer, meat, veggis and snacks to have us all asking: What?? There's more food?? But, it was nice visiting with everyone and congratulating the couple...even though it was a bit of a hectic few days. By the way, these were early photos, the food kept piling up, and I became too busy putting it away to take more photos.


In LA, Robert's sister had a traditional wedding ceremony and reception. We were there for pre-wedding festivities (including the rehearsal ceremony, rehearsal dinner, and just for the girls: mani-pedis and sushi for lunch). I was nervous to get my nails fixed because I thought it would be uncomfortable and that my nails were too ugly to fix. Not so! It was fast, easy, and I feel oh so glamorous! We had a great time at the wedding, there were formal speeches, toasts, dances, and so on, but there was also some spontaneous salsa dancing, karaoke and plenty of silly songs for Robert and I to improvise ingenious choreographies.

But, with all this excitement, and my birthday right in the middle, I didn't expect that much. I had already arranged my parent's gift to me. Yes, the coveted Fiona Frye boots (which went on an awesome Amazon.com sale)

A few times I have worn them with a casual summer dress, but they'll really prove their worth in the fall. I can't wait to pair them with skirts, leggings, and under jeans for extra warmth.

But, I didn't bother planning a party or anything. Luckily Rob and our friends stepped in and arranged a fun surprise party. With cake, snacks, good friends, and balloons, how can you go wrong?

Oh, and another thing? Everyone chipped in to get me Goodwill Gift Cards, so I can splurge without depleting my fun account. Hizzah! I already got to work on those with a new pair of shoes! Only $5.99 and they really tied my comfy airport outfit together.


So, many cheers and congratulations to the newly married couple and happy birthday to me and thanks to everyone who made my birthday very special this year!

P.S. As a question to any readers out there, what do you think about the leggings? Yay or Nay?

1 comment:

  1. I'm gonna have to say nay, just because I grew up in the 80's and they give me bad flashbacks....

    ReplyDelete