Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The Dress!



This past Sunday I finally got the dress! It was actually a fairly easy and entertaining process for me. I looked around to get a feel for what brand-new dresses cost ($600 and up, more or less) and then scanned the Craig's List clothes section for wedding dresses under $300. I also perused several different second hand stores, but decided that I stood a better chance of nabbing a deal on Craig's List.

Towards the middle of my searching process, I figured out what I wanted: a fancy wedding dress with a train, white and with some embellishment (in other words, not too plain and simple: lace, embroidery, beading or something similar would do), and a corset lace-up in the back. This last feature was important to me so I wouldn't have to worry about any drastic alterations; the dress would just need to be sinched up appropriately in the back. The list of what I didn't want (princess waistline, poofy sleeves, big poofy skirt, two piece, etc) helped eliminate many dresses on Craig's List.

Now, picking a dress from Craig's List isn't easy, per say. It took a several days of scanning dresses, comparing measurements and sizing charts, and trying to imagine what would be best. In the end, I met one person, tried on one dress and besides being a few inches too long, it fit perfectly and was comfortable and beautiful. She also threw in a veil and knocked $50 off the price due to the hemming alterations I would need. I bought the dress, had teriyaki chicken for lunch with my attendant bride's maid, and made it to a movie later that afternoon.

Also, a few days ago when I was at Goodwill, I found a simple pair of white sandals: comfortable, apparently un-used, small heel, and only $3.

Dress: check.
Veil: check.
Shoes: check.

Sorry, no wedding dress pictures on the blog, you all have to wait and see.

The wedding to-do list continues, and this week I'm trying to figure out what to do about a photographer and caterer. The fact that it's terribly stuffy and hot at home, really drains my wedding research tenacity. But somehow, I persevere.

Today at work I told one of my coworkers that I've been frazzled because I've been planning a wedding and he says, "Oh wow, that's exciting!" Oh yeah! It is very exciting...in the midst of all the planning, to do lists, and organizing, it had slipped my mind that this is exciting. Very exciting!

1 comment: